Saturday, April 01, 2006

The coalition of ideological forces that support the Republican establishment in our country depends on near-absolute faith in two books: the Bible and The Wealth of Nations. I hypothesize that the majority of the party is devoted to the doctrines of one or the other.

I won't address the first here, but I feel that complete faith in the second is folly. I propose that the vaunted "market forces" fail in some major categories of public policy. One of these is the social version of the prisoner's dilemma (aka "Tragedy of the Commons"). Another is the mistaken attempt to apply market principles to sectors that fail to qualify as true commodities.

The real world implications of these two fallacies are diverse: SUV safety regulations, school vouchers, health care systems, environmental protections and who knows what else fall into those categories. Unfortunately, when all you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. It's time to add more tools to the tool chest than just Jesus and Adam Smith.

More to follow if I get around to it and if I overcome my angst over seeming pompous and/or preachy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Devin said...

On a future post, please enlighten a poor old-fashioned carpenter as to what a screwdriver or an auger might look like.

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home